Lynx 85, Silver Stars 67
- With the win, Minnesota advances to the Western Conference Finals to face the Phoenix Mercury on Thursday, September 22 at Target Center at 8 p.m.
Minnesota: Seimone Augustus, 22
San Antonio: Sophia Young, 17
Minnesota: Rebekkah Brunson, 9
San Antonio: Ruth Riley, 6
Minnesota: Three players, 4
San Antonio: Hammon, 5
- With tonight’s win, the Lynx have defeated the San Antonio Silver Stars in the Western Conference Semifinals, 2-1. Tonight’s win marks the first postseason series win for the Lynx in franchise history, as well as the first time they’ve advanced to the Western Conference Finals.
- Tonight’s attendance of 8,734 is Minnesota’s eighth consecutive home game dating back to the regular season with a crowd of 8,000 or more. Minnesota is averaging 10,313 during their first two playoff games this year after drawing crowds of 4,227 (2004) and 3,622 (2003) in their previous two postseason games.
- Minnesota’s 18-point victory tonight was a franchise-high in the postseason. Minnesota finished the regular season with a league-best 7.9 point differential and 17 victories by 10 or more points.
- After combining for just 16 points during the first two games of the series, Taj McWilliams-Franklin and Rebekkah Brunson played a large part of Minnesota’s, scoring a combined 31 points on 10-of-19 shooting. The duo finished with 31 points, 12 rebounds and six assists.
- In their six matchups entering tonight this season, the Lynx held the edge in the paint in five of six games. Tonight was no different for Minnesota, taking a X-to-X advantage. Lynx bigs (Rebekkah Brunson, Taj McWilliams-Franklin, Jessica Adair) combined to score 38 points after scoring 21 combined in their first two games.
- Entering the game averaging 21.5 points per game during her first career postseason appearance, Seimone Augustus continued her hot play against San Antonio tonight, scoring 22 points on 10-of-16 shooting. Tonight was her second 20-point performance of the postseason and 11th of the year. Augustus also grabbed eight rebounds and dished out four assists. Her regular season career-high is nine rebounds, done twice.
- The Lynx converted just three of 20 second chance opportunities during Sunday’s loss. Tonight, Minnesota was much more efficient, converting on 6-of-12 chances, outscoring the Silver Stars 16 to 3 on second chance points opportunities.
- After converting on 70.3% of their attempts from the free throw line in the first two games, the Lynx drained 15 of their 18 attempts at the charity stripe tonight, led by a 7-of-8 performance from Rebekkah Brunson, a 67% free throw shooter during the regular season.