Cigarette Causes $275K in Fire Damage 30 Sep 11

A day with wind gusts up to 40 miles an hour did not help authorities responding to a house fire in Hutchinson earlier this week.

The Hutchinson Fire Department responded to a call of a house fire on Thursday around noon on County Road 7 in Hutchinson. Hutchinson Fire Chief Brad Emans said the fire was caused by a cigarette that was tossed outside into a plastic bucket on the deck of the house. The bucket started on fire, which then spread to the deck, the siding, and eventually the attic. A resident in the upper level of the home realized the house was on fire and called 911 when they heard a loud explosive sound of a window shattering.

The Silver Lake Fire Department was called in to assist the Hutchinson Fire Department and it took firefighters about an hour and fifteen minutes to contain the blaze. The fire is estimated to have caused 275 thousand dollars worth of damage. No one was injured.