Three students were named as Most Improved Students in their grade levels for the 2011-2012 school year as announced by Mr. Patrick Walsh, HHS Principal.
Three other students were listed as Runners-Up for the award. Walsh stated, “This is an important recognition for our students at HHS. We do a good job in recognizing our champions—our elite, if you will. There is another group that proves that past performance means little when you decide to make a change. They have every bit a chance of becoming a champion with their future. These awards recognize that. As we start in a new school term, we want to affirm our commitment to students who are gunning to change things around academically.”
· Taylor Dansby, daughter of Chad and Allison Dansby, was named Most Improved Senior.
· Zach Schultz, son of Gene and Tamela Schultz, was named Most Improved Junior.
· Debbie Gustafson, daughter of John Gustafson and Laura Keith, was named Most Improved Sophomore.
Taylor made amazing progress her senior year by almost doubling her performance by any measure. When discussing Taylor, Mr. Walsh stated, “First, Taylor is a perfect example of what can happen at Hutchinson High School. She is a very hard worker who appears to buy into the belief that a person with a plan is unstoppable. Secondly, it demonstrates the commitment of the staff toward students who are willing to improve themselves.”
Schultz enters his senior year on a high note. Walsh noted, “Zach essentially became the face of our REACH program with his progress over the last one-plus years. There are a lot of people behind him, but most importantly, he is working to his capabilities. He has a bright future!”
Gustafson turned it around with two very good terms. “Debbie has caught herself up. Like many freshmen, that first year in high school can be challenging. What’s nice is that she followed this up with a good sophomore year,” said Walsh.
Other students were named Runner-Up at their respective grades:
· 10th Grade – Tayler Johnson, son of Ken and Lisa Johnson.
· 11th Grade – Dylan Wurzberger, son of Tom and Brenda Wurzberger.
· 12th Grade – Jon Burmeister, son of Jerome and Kelli Burmeister.