Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) at 5:12, the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call of a barn on fire located at 59157 U.S. Highway 12, west of Litchfield.
KLFD reports the barn was a 60-by-80 dairy barn containing 6 pigs, 20 baby goats, and 500 bales of hay; the barn was no longer used as a dairy barn. The homeowner, Gerald Whitcomb, was able to get the animals out of the barn before the fire department arrived.
The barn and the hay inside the barn were a total loss.
The fire was determined to be caused from a heat lamp used in the barn to keep the baby goats warm. The homeowner did have insurance on the barn. No people or animals were injured as a result of the fire.