Dayton Requests Disaster Declaration 18 Jul 13

Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter Wednesday to President Barack
Obama requesting a major federal disaster declaration for 18 counties affected by flash flooding and severe storms June 20-26.

The request includes that Benton, Big Stone, Douglas, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Grant, Hennepin, Houston, McLeod, Morrison, Pope, Sibley, Stearns, Stevens, Swift, Traverse and Wilkin counties be included in the disaster declaration after preliminary damage assessments revealed $17.8 million in costs and damages.

If granted, the disaster declaration would provide assistance to townships, cities, counties, schools, and certain private
not-for-profit organizations for uninsured and eligible storm-related damage to public infrastructure.

If the president declares a major disaster, FEMA will fund 75 percent of approved costs. Local and state governments are responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

The letter is the final step in the disaster declaration process.