The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and the Minnesota State Cattlemen’s Association (MSCA) are hosting five informational meetings around the state for cattlemen and women looking to expand their livestock operations.
The meetings will focus on how a producer can obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System/State Disposal System (NPDES/SDS) permit for a feedlot with 1,000 or more animal units.
Meetings are scheduled for:
- Aug. 12, 10 a.m.,KandiyohiCountyGovernmentServicesBuilding,2200 23rd St. N.,Willmar.
- Aug. 14, 1 p.m., LyonCountyCourthouse, 607 W. MainSt., Marshall.
- Aug. 15, 1 p.m.,MPCADetroitLakesoffice,714 Lake Ave.,DetroitLakes.
- Aug. 21, 1 p.m., MPCA Brainerd office,7678 College Road, Baxter.
- Aug. 22, 1 p.m., MPCA Rochester office,18 Wood Lake Drive, S.E.,Rochester.
The meetings will provide producers with the opportunity to meet the MPCA staff and feedlot program engineers working in their region as well as delegated county feedlot officers. They will also afford an opportunity for producers to get practical information on the NPDES/SDS permit process, including application requirements and tips for navigating the process smoothly. Additional topics may be discussed as time permits.
In Minnesota, approximately 1,300 large feedlots are covered by an NPDES/SDS permit. The MPCA issues federal NPDES permits jointly with a state SDS permit. The combination is an NPDES/SDS permit, which includes both federal and state requirements. For information on feedlot permitting, visit the MPCA’s Feedlot Permit Information webpage (http://www.pca.state.mn.us/pyri69d).