Tiger Gameday – Week 2
Last Game: Hutchinson 16 Becker 13 OT
Game Recap: A sloppy game overall but a close game the Tigers were fortunate enough to win. Both teams scored 4th quarter TD’s but missed extra points that would have won the game. Instead Hutchinson fumbled twice in OT, kicked the field goal, and then intercepted Becker to seal the win. Tory Adams rushed for 134 yards and a TD, Jayden Juergensen had the other Tiger TD.
Current Record: 1-0
This Week’s Opponent: Glencoe Silver Lake (1-0)
About the Opponent: The Panthers went 9-2 last year, with their only losses coming to Hutchinson. GSL brings back a number of players off that team including their now 3rd year starting QB Keaton Anderson. Look for him to lead the offense again while getting a bunch of help from Jake Stuedemann and Dalton Clouse. Stuedemann had a big day last week in the Panthers blow out win over Holy Family scoring 3 TD’s.
Key Hutch Players: The spotlight will be on the Offensive Line this week for Hutch. At times last week the line looked good…and at times the line looked like a turnstyle. Consistency will be what the coaching staff is looking for. A bounce back game from QB Marcus Hahn would be good this week as well after throwing 3 INT’s last week. And lastly, the Front 7 of the Tiger defense will be tested. The Panthers will use a bunch of fakes and motions to throw you off. You really have to stay on your assignments to beat GSL. The Panthers are excellent at exploiting a little hole you give them. The Tigers have won the last three meetings between the schools.
- GSL QB Keaton Anderson. He’s their leader and a pretty darn good quarterback. The Tigers will have to key on him, watch his fakes…he’s a guy that can really take the bite out of the Tigers if you let him.
- Control the clock. The Biggest key to Hutch’s two wins over GSL last year was their offense held the ball for better than 50% of the game. 10 to 15 play drives were common. What that does is keep your defense fresh, and keeps their offense off the field.
- Keep your head late in the game. Hutch did a nice job of focusing late last week and not letting the emotion of the game take over. Sometimes letting emotion in is a good thing, sometimes it can hurt you. Hutch had a short memory and made plays when they needed to last week. This week though the emotions ramp up twice what they were last week. This is one of the top rivalries in the state…expect the crowd to be hot right from opening kickoff.
- Turnovers. Hutch can’t throw three interceptions, fumble multiple times and expect to beat good teams. Last week the Tigers were fortunate to come out of that game with a win. It’s a real good learning experience. Now we find out if the Tigers learned from last week.
- A useless/interesting fact for you…Since Hutchinson entered the WCC in 2010, both the Tigers and Glencoe Silver Lake have identical 20-4 records in Conference play.