Tiger Gameday – Week 3
Last Game: Hutchinson 36 Glencoe Silver Lake 7
Game Recap: The Panthers took the opening drive 86 yards for a TD, but then the Tigers stiffened up and allowed only about 100 yards the rest of the way. The Tiger defense got some turnovers including a key fumble recovery in the endzone in the 4th quarter when GSL was driving. The Offense started off with a bang getting a TD run from “RG5” Robbie Grimsley on his first carry. Grimsley had 170 yards rushing and 3 TD’s on the night and Tory Adams rushed for 149 and 2 TD’s. Hutch won the Battle of the Cat trophy for the 3rd straight year.
Current Record: 2-0
This Week’s Opponent: Orono (2-0)
About the Opponent: Orono has started off the season beating two WCC Eastern division teams in Litchfield and Dassel Cokato. The Spartans showed some spunk last week in coming from a 21-7 deficit to beat the Chargers 26-21. Orono features a balanced offensive attack (302 yards passing, 410 yards rushing this season). Sophomore QB Hank Seward has been key for them so far with 239 yards passing, 86 yards rushing, and 4 TD’s. Senior RB Charlie Schmid (217 yards, 4 TD) and Senior WR Chandler Perry (113 yards, 3 TD) will also be key. Look for Junior Calvin Groenke to lead the defense (18 takles, 3 for loss, 1 INT, 1 sack)
Key Hutch Players: The Linebackers will be tested this week for Hutch. The Lenz boys in the middle and the DE/LB’s Jake Wendland and Grant Baumetz will be key. They’ll need to hold their positions in case of a run, but also be ready to cover for a pass…that’s not an easy task to do. Offensively, the Key players will be in the running game…OL, RB, FB. It’s the Tigers bread and butter and the offense goes how the run game goes.
- Early Start time. Due some of the Orono players observing Yom Kippur this game kicks off at 5 pm. That means the teams will have to deal with sunset for the entire game. That means the passing offenses might struggle when having to look into the sun.
- Get the running game going. After making some adjustments from Week 1 to Week 2 the Run game took off last week. Expect RG5 and Tory Adams to be featured heavily. The blockers in front of them had a great game last week and look to build off that.
- Stopping the balanced offensive Attack of the Spartans. It’s hard enough for a team to stop one aspect of the offense, let alone two…and the Spartans offer that. They are equally as good running as they are throwing. Hutch’s defense will have to be sharp on their assignments and play good team defense.
- Homefield advantage…Coming into Hutch to win a game is a tough thing to do. The Tigers do a nice job of defending their home turf. Hutch is unbeaten at home in their last 13 games.
- A useless/interesting fact for you…This is the third straight opponent of the season that is undefeated when the Tigers will have played them.