Tiger Gameday – Week 11
Last Game: Hutchinson 40 Waseca 13
Game Recap: The Hutchinson Tigers qualified for their 21st State Football Tournament apperance with a 40-13 blasting of Waseca. The game featured the top two teams in the state in Class 4A according to the Polls. #1 ranked Hutchinson gained over 400 yards on the ground in the game, 218 of those rushing yards came from Senior Tory Adams. Adams got 2 TD’s as well. Waseca’s high powered offense was derailed when All-State QB Thomas O’Niel went down with an injury on the first drive of the game and did not return.
Current Record: 10-0
This Week’s Opponent: #5 South St. Paul (9-1)
About the Opponent: The SSP Packers are a team like Hutch that plays some good competition during the season. The Packers lost only to St. Thomas Academy this season on their way to a stellar record. SSP uses a run heavy veer offense and has a ton of speed. The Packers feature 3 runners with 600 or more yards: QB Bill Brandecker (655), RB Marco Freeman (824), and RB Max Oelerking (664). SSP doesn’t pass much but when they do chances are it’s going to Christian Rund, who has 264 of the teams 500+ yards receiving. Defensively the Packers do give up points, averaging just about 15 points a game.
Key Hutch Players: Again the defense gets the spotlight here…The front 7 namely. The line and linebackers will be tested trying to tackle the trio of talented Packer runners. Hutch has been pretty good against the run this year, but have yet to face a threesome like what the Packers offer.
- Force SSP into throwing downs. The Packers are like Hutch in that they want to run the ball consistently and not have to get into 3rd and long situations. Brandecker is a wonderful runner at the QB spot, but throwing he struggles, completing less that 49% of his passes.
- Experience. Once again Experience comes into play here. This is the same field Hutch beat Kasson Mantorville on last year in the State Quarters. Hutch is familiar with the field, the locker rooms, the routine, and most importantly what it takes to win in this round. This will be a dogfight.
- Let the playmakers loose. Tory Adams and Robbie Grimsley are having special seasons and can score from anywhere on the field. Last week the two combined for over 300 yards of offense. We expect more of the same. Course one of the reasons the playmakers get loose is the supporting cast around them…they can make plays too.
- Doing the little things right. Who would have thought the most key play in last years state quarters was a missed extra point or a halfback pass. Little things is what adds up to wins at this point in the game. Every team is good, there are no more cupcakes left. Execution is key in all areas of the game.
- A useless/interesting fact for you…South St. Paul has a number of alumni that you would recognize. Among those that graduated from SSP HS were NHL Legend Phil Housley, former Governor/US Presidential Candidate Tim Pawlenty, Former Gopher Hockey Coach Doug Woog, former Green Bay Packers OL Jim Carter, and current San Jose Sharks Goaltender Alex Stalock.
- Every once in a while we like to send a Tiger Tough shout out…and we shall do so again here! Tiger Freshman Joey Mueller is going in for heart surgery Wednesday to correct a faulty valve. We wish Joey all the best and are hoping for a good result and a speedy recovery! Tiger Tough Joey!