Ridgewater College received the Minnesota Career Preparedness Award on March 3, 2014. American College Testing (ACT) selected Ridgewater as the top nominee in the state for the ACT College and Career Readiness Campaign recognition due to the following factors:
- · Accessibility of career readiness assessments and career preparation programs
- · Efforts to develop relationships with local employers
- · Student success indicator including retention, graduation, and four-year college transfer rates, including for students of underrepresented racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds
- · Dedication of administrators and faculty to career planning and providing a support structure to students
- · The college’s commitment to providing leadership opportunities for students outside of the classroom
“I am proud of all of the work that Ridgewater College does to ensure our student’s success,” said Dean of Students Heidi Olson. “We offer many different venues to help students plan and prepare for their future. Students have access to meet with counselors, take career testing and inventories as well as take a career planning course. Many services are FREE OF CHARGE, not only for Ridgewater students, but also for Ridgewater alumni. Services include Ridgewater’s College Central Job posting website, personal assistance with job searching, resume development, cover letter writing, and interview preparation. Ridgewater also offers mock interview assistance and free technology use for job research purposes.
Working with employers is also a priority. Ridgewater offers employers – FREE OF CHARGE – assistance in searching for employees. Employers are able to post employment opportunities, as well as participate in job fairs, on-campus career and employment events, and economic or workforce development forums. Ridgewater also assists in setting up internships and job-shadowing opportunities.
Commitment to students is Ridgewater’s top priority. “It is our mission to help our students make smart career choices, to help our students and alumni find gainful employment, and to help employers find qualified and well-trained employees,” said Dr. Douglas Allen, Ridgewater College president. “It is due to the hard work and commitment of our faculty, staff and administration, that we achieved this honor.”
Other Minnesota colleges nominated for the award were: Alexandria Technical and Community College, Northland Community and Technical College, Itasca Community College, and Riverland Community College.
Ridgewater College will represent Minnesota at the national level at the ACT National Gala on College and Career Readiness in Washington D.C., on June 3, 2014.