The Cokato Museum & Historical Society invites the public to join us at the museum for an Open House on Sunday, March 16, 2014, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.to celebrate the 136th Birthday of the Village of Cokato.
The earliest white settlers came to this area in the spring of 1856, staking claims along Sucker Creek. It would be another thirteen years before the First Division of the St. Paul & Pacific Railway stretched westward from near Howard Lake to Willmar, in 1869. With that, settlers began pouring into the region.
As a planned stop along the rail line, the still unincorporated settlement called Cokato—after the Dakota work roughly meaning “in the middle of”—saw the construction of homes and businesses to serve the area residents. By late 1877 the drive to incorporate was coalescing. In early 1878, a petition circulated calling for a vote. That vote was held on March 9, 1878 and the Village of Cokato was officially born.
In addition to a fun and informative slide show about the village/city through the years, attendees can enjoy the last few days of our current display, The Keyboard That Killed Cursive. They can also see some of the many changes to the museum’s permanent gallery and what we also are planning for future upgrades. Oh, and don’t forget about our new doors!
This event will be held at the Cokato Museum,175 Fourth Street SWand is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.
The CokatoMuseum is a cooperative effort of the city of Cokato and the Cokato Historical Society.