Carbon Monoxide Evacuation in Winsted 02 Aug 14

WINSTED, MN – Just after 10:30 Thursday evening, the Winsted Police Department received a call of a carbon monoxide (CO) detector going off at the Garden House at St. Mary’s Care Center in Winsted.

Winsted Police Chief Justin Heldt said that when deputies arrived, all occupants had already been evacuated.

The Herald Journal reports five or six residents were transported to area hospitals for evaluation, and about nine residents were treated at the scene.

CenterPoint Energy aired out the building, and later gave clearance for people to go back inside.

As a precaution, St. Mary’s staff decided to have residents stay in another building of the campus for the night.

According to Winsted Fire Chief 3 Jon Davidson, the CO alarm was most likely triggered by exhaust from a carpet cleaning service vehicle running outside. He explained that the cleaning company kept the vehicle running in order to power its cleaning equipment.