Last Game: Hutchinson 49 Holy Angels 7 PREP BOWL
Game Recap: Hutchinson won their 2nd straight and 5th overall State Championship with a dominating win over old conference foe Holy Angels in the Prep Bowl 9 months ago. RB Robbie Grimsley scored on long TD runs on his first three carries as the Tigers jumped out early and often in this game. Grimsley set a prep bowl record with a 92 yard TD run, longest from scrimmage in the prep bowl. RB Tory Adams scored 4 times in the game…3 on rushes, 1 on a punt return. Hutchinson has now won 26 straight games entering this season
Current Record: 0-0 OPENING WEEK!
This Week’s Opponent: Annandale (0-0)
About the Opponent: Annandale has quietly become one of the top programs in the Wright County Conference the last few seasons. They were in the Metrodome 2 seasons ago, and last year lost an epic section championship battle to eventual State Runner Up New London Spicer. Points and Yards have been easy to come by for the Cards in recent years, But things may change a bit this year. Annandale has talent again on this roster, but it’s young talent. Coach Walter lost 15-20 starters or key bench players to graduation. This team doesn’t have much experience coming back. Getting this team early in the season may be a blessing, since later in the year Coach Matt Walter should have them firing on all cylinders.
Key Hutch Players: Opening Week you have to rely on your returning players. Hutchinson has a bunch back. The Tigers return their QB, RB, FB, WR, a few Lineman, and DB’s to name a few.
- Execution. Week 1 games aren’t always the most cleanly played games. A lot of rust can come out, confusion, early season stuff you won’t see in week 8 or later. The team that executes well will have the advantage.
- Get the running game going. The run has been Hutch’s bread and butter for 40 years and it’s not changing now. RG5, Jayden Fleck, and even QB Marcus Hahn all should see some carries.
- Defensively find some replacements up front. You still have the “Biggest Little NT” in the game returning, but he needs some help up front and with the linebackers. Those two positions should see some new players this year, the first few weeks I expect to see a bunch of players get time and get some opportunity. Who can seize the spots?
- Turnovers. I could put this key to the game down every single week. You can’t give away the football and expect to win. This goes back a little to execution, but keeping a hold of that pigskin is key.
- A useless/interesting fact for you…Speaking of Epic games, the last meeting between these two schools would certainly qualify as epic. Annandale led 28-0 over Hutchinson entering the 4th quarter of the game 2 years ago. Hutchinson would scored 35 unanswered points in the 4th quarter and Overtime to get the win.