U.S. Checking if Second American Killed in Syria 28 Aug 14

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. is trying to determine if a second American fighting with the Islamic State group has been killed in Syria.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki says the U.S. has no independent confirmation of reports of a second American killed while fighting with the militant group. Psaki says American officials are looking into the reports.

NBC is citing an anonymous member of the opposition Free Syrian Army as saying two Americans were killed in a battle last week with Islamic State fighters.

The U.S. has confirmed the death of one American, Douglas McArthur McCain. He grew up outside Minneapolis in the town of New Hope and most recently lived in San Diego, California.