Doghouse Heater Causes Garage Fire 01 Feb 17

A doghouse heater is the cause of a fire in Hutchinson Tuesday morning that caused a garage fire.

Fire Chief Mike Schumann says a passerby called in the fire in the 1200 block of Rolling Oaks Lane NW at about 8:30am.

Schumann says when crews arrived, they found a wood framed doghouse that was completely burned down. Flames from that had impinged on the north facing wall of the garage and extended into the soffitt/fascia and attic space, which were quickly extinguished.

There was smoke and water damage on the interior of the structure, but minimal fire damage.

Schumann says a fixed mounted electric heater in the doghouse malfunctioned and was the cause of the fire.

There were no injuries.