2012 James J. Wychor Scholarship
The Minnesota Broadcasters Association (MBA) awards the James J. Wychor scholarship to Minnesota residents who meet the criteria below. The Association will award up to ten $1500.00 scholarships to qualified candidates for the 2012-2013 school year.
The Scholarship Committee will make every reasonable effort to ensure that scholarships will be distributed to qualified candidates from throughout Minnesota. While geographical diversity within Minnesota will be considered, the Committee reserves the right to award scholarships to the most highly qualified candidates regardless of where they reside in the state.
One scholarship will be reserved for a student with a career interest in broadcast/electronic media technology. The applicant must be majoring in or taking courses in the following areas: computer science/technology, electrical engineering, electronics technology or closely related fields. The remaining scholarships will be awarded to students demonstrating an interest in broadcasting careers including advertising sales, web/social media development, entertainment programming, marketing and promotions, news reporting and administrative support.
Recipients are eligible for one scholarship during their 4-year undergraduate program. A previous recipient who enrolls in a graduate program may reapply for an additional one-year scholarship. See Rules below for further details.
Women and persons with protected characteristics historically underrepresented in the broadcasting/electronic communications field are encouraged to apply.
Failure to meet or submit all requirements results in disqualification. Incomplete applications are not considered. Applicants must provide the following:
- A writing sample of no less than 3 pages in length.
- 2 letters of recommendation: 1 from a teacher or professor discussing academic achievements, and 1 from an employer (If the applicant is not employed, a substitute letter from a teacher, coach, volunteer coordinator or other adult supervisor is acceptable).
- An OFFICIAL high school or college transcript.
- A copy of the letter of acceptance or other documentation certifying enrollment at an accredited post-secondary educational institution.
- A 500-word essay on why the applicant wishes to pursue a career in broadcasting/electronic media.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Any additional information or supporting materials that may aid the scholarship committee (audio/video material, graphics/web design examples, published written articles, etc.)
- Applicant need not be employed in the broadcasting industry.
- Applicant must be a Minnesota resident.
- Current MBA officers, directors, office staff and their immediate families are not eligible to receive the scholarship.
- Applicant must be accepted by, or enrolled at an accredited post- secondary educational institution. The Scholarship Committee assumes that many applicants will be enrolled in courses or programs that will prepare them for work in the broadcasting or electronic media industry. However, the Committee recognizes that some students may elect to pursue majors or courses not directly connected to media studies. Such students must demonstrate a sincere desire to seek an eventual career in electronic media through work at a campus radio station, involvement with video production for cable, broadcast or web, web design or online/social media marketing.
- Scholarship funds are payable directly to the educational institution and may be used to defray the cost of tuition, books, supplies, fees, and school sponsored on-campus housing and/or meal programs.
- The James J. Wychor Scholarship funds may only be used to pay for the costs remaining after federal and state government scholarships/grants an applicant has secured have been exhausted.
- The MBA Scholarship Committee judges and selects the scholarship recipients. All decisions are final.
All applications must be postmarked no later than June 30, 2012.
Please return the application and accompanying materials to:
Minnesota Broadcasters Association
Attn: James J. Wychor Scholarship Program
3033 Excelsior Blvd, Suite 440
Minneapolis, MN 55416
Questions should be directed to the MBA (612) 926-8123 or (800) 245-5838 or emailed to Linda Lasere (email@example.com).